We shared our projects via this blog and Twitter and were surprised and excited when Ms. Scattergood responded. She was kind enough to watch the book trailers and comment on our blog. We were totally blown away when she then offered to Skype with us!
In order to prepare for the visit, students composed questions for Ms. Scattergood and wrote them on index cards. We revisited how to be good audience members during author visits. The students were eager to ask Augusta Scattergood their questions.
|Skyping with Augusta Scattergood.|
The students asked an impressive range of questions. Here is a sampling of the information we learned:
- Augusta Scattergood used to be a school librarian. (No wonder I thought she was so awesome!)
- She was inspired by the story of Ruby Bridges and drew upon her own experiences in order to write Glory Be.
- Sometimes it takes a long time to write a book.
- Authors should always carry a notebook - you never know when an idea will come to you.
- Augusta Scattergood has written three books: Glory Be, The Way to Stay in Destiny, and Making Friends with Billy Wong.
We would like to extend a HUGE Thank-O-Rama to Augusta Scattergood for taking the time to Skype with us! It was truly an experience that we will remember and cherish for years to come. This visit has inspired students to read and hone their own writing skills.